Race Rules & Policies
The following are the official race rules of Next Opportunity Events, LLC. These policies apply to all competitive running events managed by Next Opportunity Events, LLC.
Race Participation Policy
All runners must agree to the following Race Rules as part of the registration process for a given race. Violation of any of the following Race Rules will result in disqualification from the race in question. In certain circumstances of significant abuse, neglect, or disregard for the official Race Rules a competitor who violates these rules may be barred from all future participation in any Next Opportunity Events, LLC event. Such action is at the discretion of the Owners of Next Opportunity Events, LLC. There will be no exceptions to these rules.
- Leave No Trace - We proudly support the land managers both public and private that host our races. As such any misuse of public or private land will not be tolerated. Next Opportunity strives for sustainability in all of our races, and we hold our runners to the same standard. DO NOT litter, pick wildflowers, or otherwise deface the property in any way.
- Leaving The Established Race Course - Going off trail creates a negative ecological impact. Race participants are not to leave the established race course. Any runner who leaves the established race course by mistake must return to the point of departure on foot before continuing. Any motorized transportation will result in disqualification.
- Courteous and Respectful Behavior - Mistreatment of race volunteers, other racers, or other trail users will not be tolerated and will result in disqualification.
- Receiving Aid - Race participants must maintain forward progress throughout the race under his or her own power. No motorized or otherwise assisted travel will be permitted except for rafts at the Breaks 40 Miler. Runners may not receive aid from any person other than themselves except at official aid stations and official crew points. Accepting aid from any other person will result in disqualification.
- Banditing - Only registered runners and official pacers will be allowed on the course. No unofficial runners or "bandits" will be allowed. Banditing will result in the runner being barred from future Next Opportunity Events races.
- Aid Station Protocol - All runners must check in and out of every aid station. This is to ensure that everyone is accounted for and that everyone runs the full distance of each race. If a runner does not check in/out at of any aid station he or she will be subject to disqualification. There will be a volunteer at each aid station responsible for checking each runner in and out. It is the runner's responsibility to make sure he or she gets checked in and out of every aid station. Any runner who does not check in/out of every aid station will be disqualified and will NOT receive a finisher award.
- Smoking - Smoking by runners, their pacers, or crew is not permitted on the race course or at official aid stations.
- Pets - No pets are allowed at the race. This includes dogs on or off leash. Per regulations related to the Next Opportunity Events, LLC insurance policies pets are prohibited on the race course and at the race sites for the duration of that event.
- Aid Station Cut-Offs - Aid station cut-off times will be strictly enforced to the second. No exceptions. Any runner not OUT of an aid station before the exact cut-off time will be pulled from the race and disqualified. If a runner leaves an aid station before the aid station's cut-off time and returns to the aid station after the aid stations cut-off time the runner will be disqualified. No exceptions will be made.
- Finish Line Cut-Offs - Any runner not across the finish line before the final finish line cut-off time will be disqualified from the race. Runners who miss the final finish line cut-off will not receive a finisher award and will receive a "Did Not Finish" official finish time. This will be enforced to the exact seconds, and no exceptions will be made.